I am currently finishing my final year of a BEng in Software Engineering at Aberystwyth University. After two years of the course I have consistently achieved high grades, putting me well on track to attain a first overall. I will graduate in the summer of 2017 and be looking to start a graduate position in the fall of 2017, or spring of 2018.
Areas of technical expertise
- Developing applications in Python, NodeJS, & C
- Setting up and administering SQL/MongoDB servers
- Advanced knowledge of git
- High level of Linux proficiency
- Experience with Virtualisation (LXC, Docker) and Server Management (ansible, terraform) software
- Varnish & Hitch configuration, SSL + Domain management
- Overall winner of BBC News Hack Wales 2015
- It’s back - Written in NodeJS, this is a website that alerts users in real time when a site comes back up after being offline.
- Daily Mail Bot - Protest bot written in Python, that mirrors Daily Mail & Sun articles posted to reddit.
- Process Game - A small C game I made as a learning exercise. Find a way to kill the game without it knowing.
- OandXs - Noughts and crosses in a recursive manner, so that the game can be played multiple layers deep.
Software Developer - July 2015 - June 2016
As part of my degree I spent an industrial year working full time at Clock, a NodeJS agency in Hertfordshire. Whilst there I had several roles throughout the year, including running their support service (bug fixes), developing new features for existing projects and being trained by the Technical Services team to learn how to manage the infrastructure of a web agency.
- Developing NodeJS/MongoDB applications
- Working with large existing code bases
- Customer communications
- Agile and XP practices
- Managing physical and virtual servers with ansible
- Server provisioning and maintenance
- DNS, Domains and SSL
- Updating legacy PHP projects
Bioinformatics Assistant - August 2014 - October 2014
Institute for Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences,
This position was my first real introduction to Bioinformatics and I have learned a substantial amount about many areas of computing I wouldn’t normally have been exposed to. For example I had access to a powerful cluster and had to deal with large amounts of genomic data.
- Managing and updating an SQL database
- Compiling and installing open source genomics applications
- Utilising a cluster to run genome assemblies
- Python scripting to automate tasks
Voluntary Technician - November 2010 - September 2013
The National Museum of Computing,
Before I began studying for my degree, I volunteered every weekend at the museum, during this time I learned:
- An appreciation for the history of computing
- Repairing and maintaining hardware new and old
- Perl scripting to email important anniversaries to the volunteers (Code on github)
Voluntary Centre Lead - August 2012, 2013 and 2014
Young Rewired State (YRS)
YRS is aimed at encouraging 13-18 year-olds to showcase their programming skills and inspire the next generation of programmers.
- Coaching and developing several teams
- Managing on average four mentors, 20 participants and their parents
- Co-ordinating with YRS and the host centre
2017 - Predicted First in BEng in Software Engineering
2013 - Distinction* Level 3 Extended BTEC Diploma in Computing
2010 - Nine grade A GCSEs including English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology
Aside from computing my main passion in life is Swing dancing. For the last three summers I have worked at a dance camp in Sweden where I led a team of people who managed the evenings’ parties and actives. The tasks that I was responsible for ranged, from unblocking toilets to building emergency infrastructure, but it still left me with plenty of time to dance the night away!
I have also achieved Bronze Duke of Edinburgh, completed my expeditions and volunteering for the Gold award and hold a full UK motorcycle and car licence.
Dr Amanda Clare - Personal Tutor
Department of Computer Science, Llandinam Building, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DB
Paul Serby - CTO at Clock Limited
The Old School House, Bridge Rd, Sarratt, Hunton Bridge WD4 8RQ